Monday, 14 September 2026

Dog versus Man (Part 3 of 5)

To get the context, you need to read part one here and part two here.

In part one, we discussed the qualities of abundant life and said we would discuss two of the nine qualities in each part. We will kick off with them.

1.  Friendliness. Ogies always make one feel welcome with a wagging tail, a hug, and lots of attention and compassion, offered to both us and to visitors. All dogs are not like that. If they are not treated well, they are unhappy and might be shy and aggressive, but in my experience most dogs whose masters love them are like that. If you understand the Lord’s love for you and you rest in His love and care, you have no reason not to be friendly. 1 John 4:18 declares, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” If you know you are safe in the Lord’s cocoon of love, you have no reason not to be friendly, to feel fearful and paranoid about people’s motives, and so on. The Lord looks after you, and that sets you free to love others with friendliness. There have been times when I’ve been paranoid and fearful towards certain people because of my sin and selfishness. How did I react toward them, then? I’ve been rude and abrupt because I did not trust them. The times I trusted the Lord’s love in the situation, I was able to be friendly to them as well.

2.  Goodness. As I was contemplating the goodness of dogs, the phrase “a dog is
man’s best friend” came to mind. A dog will not think twice to lay down its life for a cause. I was told the story of the rescued and adopted dog that repeatedly dragged a toddler away from a shallow pond with a newly installed water feature. When the mother heard the toddler’s screams and reprimanded the dog, the only way it could think of to make its point was to jump into the pond, where the faulty water feature caused its electrocution. Jesus said in John 15: 12-14: My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. Goodness is to live for others sacrificially. You don’t have to make heroic sacrifices, but sacrificing time and effort supporting others goes a long way. It’s not natural for the selfish human nature to live for others, which is why it is a fruit of the Holy Spirit we need to make work in our lives.

Back to Ogies.

The Lord has so much in mind for us. As I have happiness in mind for Ogies and made clear to her what she is allowed to have at any given time, so the Lord pointed out to believers the conditions that precede His promises. If Ogies doesn't bring the ball to my feet and leaves it there, it doesn't get thrown so she can have the joy of fetching it again. In the same way, all the Lord's promises are conditional.

For example, the Lord gave me the following promise as a revelation from His Word from Psalm 91:14-16: “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name...” and the rest. I recognised these words, which jumped out at me while I was reading Psalm 91, as a promise to me directly from the Lord. I have memorised and prayed these words several times when I needed protection, and the Lord has been ever so faithful to me. 

However, once when I prayed it, and I got as far as "because I love you, Lord..." He stopped me and asked me in my spirit: "Why must I protect you, because you don't love me?"

"What do you mean, Lord?" I asked.

"My Word says in John 14:21: 'Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me,' and in verse 23: 'Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching.' You haven't obeyed me. " Then He showed me what He was referring to, and I had to repent.

Are you meeting the Lord's conditions for His promises in the Bible? If you don't, you should know why your prayers aren't answered, or why the claims you make aren't met. The Lord is not our go-to slot machine. We are in a covenant with Him, and both parties have responsibilities.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment