Wednesday 15 August 2012

Learn From James (Two) - Tested

Good morning.

Remember we only place a teaching every second day now. You may want to catch up on some of the older ones.


We are looking at the book of James, a Bible author who told it as it is. His teachings challenge the reader to act on and not only hear the Word of God. We started in our previous message on James 1:2-4:

 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

One important key in this passage is the term ‘perseverance’. We live in an instant society where everything should happen as quickly as possible, so we could get it over with and continue with our lives. We want to learn life principles and truths quickly and instantly and therefore think it is sufficient to go to church or read the Bible and have head knowledge or theory, which we can shift into our archives and then carry on with our lives as we wish.

In our previous message we have seen that the Lord loves us too much to allow that. We need to learn how to apply the knowledge and revelation, which we receive, to our lives. It is much like somebody who reads the rules of the road and then expects to get into a car and drive legally. Such a person should first get practical instruction and then pass the appropriate driving test before she is allowed to drive legally on a public road.

How about this as an example of a trial? We tend to fight our own fights, don’t we, but the Lord told the Israelites in Exodus 14:14: “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Even though He spoke to the Israelites, it actually applies to any of His loved ones, especially if we have received it as a rhema revelation, which I did. In the past I have often relied on my own skills to try and get out of persecution (Proverbs 3:5-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=proverbs%203:5-8&version=NIV1984). Then one day I was tested severely. I had a meeting with a group who indicated they had a problem with me. I was very scared and therefore prayed intensely a few days before I entered the meeting. The meeting was much worse than I expected as the lies shot like daggers from their tongues through my heart. The only words I could desperately get out in response to every accusation were ‘it’s not true’. After a while I just sat there, letting the daggers shoot though me whilst I silently let the Lord do His thing.

The next day I saw them again and they were as tame as lambs, almost embarrassed, and I heard clearly in my heart the Lord saying: “Well done, you have passed the test and will now have peace.” A little later a few of my accusers came to me apologising for their behaviour. You see, Satan instigated them to persecute me and the Lord used the opportunity to see whether I will rely on Him rather than fighting my own fight. Because I persevered under the trial and did not act in the flesh by fighting my own fight, I have matured in that area of relying on the Lord.

Each command in the Bible involves a trial for our development, i.e. if we would like to get to the stage where we obey a certain command regardless, we will be tested on it until we pass. Spiritual growth is a choice, for we choose to reach the goal that the Lord has set before us by passing the tests as we go through the trials.

How many of us have a sin that keeps controlling us? Some just live with it and therefore stay in defeat, whilst others struggle to overcome it. In Hebrews 12:4 we have an instruction: “In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.To get to this point demands hard work and discipline. The sinful nature resists the spirit, so we cannot really do it on our own. The Lord is ready to help us for “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it,” (1 Corinthians 10:13).

If we therefore commit ourselves to resisting sin to the point of shedding our blood, we will be tested whether we are serious and when we have proven our commitment with perseverance, the Lord’s power will make us mature and complete in that area, lacking nothing. It is our choice whether we just want to float along the river of life’s struggles or be victorious and fruitful in Christ.

Lord, I am available to be tested in order to grow.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment