Tuesday 18 December 2012

Esther (Eight) Exalt Yourself and Have a Fall

Good morning

I simply love the story in Esther chapter six and when I read it again this morning; I had such a laugh at how the Lord arranged for Haman to be humbled. Jesus said in Matthew 23:12: “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted,” and this is exactly what the Lord has arranged for Haman.

We need to be so careful of how we think of ourselves. We are cautioned in Romans 12:3: “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you,” and we need to check ourselves continuously. It is natural for man to become proud and conceited and therefore part of the sinful nature that resists the Holy Spirit. He therefore makes it His business to keep anybody who is serious about the Lord humble.

Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:7: “To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.” A very ‘dangerous’ worship song to sing and mean is called ‘I Surrender All’. The Lord tends to take us by our word and answers our prayers. He will therefore ensure we stay surrendered and humble, for it is not His desire for us to follow in Haman’s footsteps.

Haman had this incredible desire to be great and it is inborn in the nature of us all. Satan knows it and makes it his business to try and get us to exalt ourselves. He even tried it with Jesus. “Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour. All this I will give you,’ he said, ‘if you will bow down and worship me.’” Yielding to fame, pride, selfish wealth and so on is worshiping Satan, since he is the master of those things so prevalent in this world, of which he is god.

The Lord, however, loves us enough to make sure we do not yield to pride if we asked Him to help us. Pride will not get into heaven and the Lord’s standards are very high. I have asked the Lord to keep me humble and every time when I have just a hint of thinking I am cool, something happens that brings me down to earth. In the LORD’s presence there is only place for His glory, as it will be in heaven as well. So if we want to be in His presence, we need to forget about our glory.

Haman prepared something to glorify himself and was so absorbed by himself that he was blinded to the consequences of his selfishness and this led to him being humiliated in order to exalt the man he despised. This is God’s humour. He hates pride and if we become proud, resisting His promptings to stay humble, He will take drastic steps to humble us, for He loves us and wants us in His presence.

Lord, please help me stay humble.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

We support a mission. Have a look at the work, which you may become part of HERE. You may also want to look at the Website.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment