Saturday 27 April 2013

John 17 (Six) Which Name Is One (Part Two)

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.

You would have noticed that the messages do not come as regularly as before. This is because time is tight and I work longer and irregular hours at present. Please keep us in your prayers, since many important developments also take hold of our time.

This message is a continuation of our previous message and is also shorter than usual because of the mentioned challenges.

“And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled,” (John 17:11, 12).

I may have confused you in our previous message and some may even think I am being misleading, since we always understood that the power and authority is in the name of Jesus. It is, but it is not the name ‘Jesus’ that has the authority. ‘Jesus’ is only the Greek for the Hebrew version ‘Joshua’, both of which means saviour. The name could be something totally different and would still have the same power. The power is not so much in the name as it is in being one with those who the name represents. To Father God the name of Jesus is not the important issue, but it is being in Jesus, the person to whom the name belongs, that is important. We see an example of this in Acts 19:13-16 where God used Paul in extraordinary power and “then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, ‘I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul proclaims.’ Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them, ‘Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?’ And the man in whom was the evil spirit leaped on them, mastered all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

It is not the name of Jesus that makes the difference, but the relationship of obedience with Him and Father God. Are we prepared to identify with them, to be counted as one with them, to bear the same name even when it costs us our comfort and our lives? “For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it,” (Matthew 16:25). Whilst talking about those who would use His name to advance their own interests without having a relationship with Him and His Father, Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23: “‘Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’”

The name of Jesus is not the miracle power, but the willingness to share our entire being with Him. Jesus was very outspoken about this all the way through His teachings, in fact throughout the history of Israel as recorded right through the Bible. The Lord does not want to be shared – not with our own interests, not with other ideologies, not with money and everything it can buy, and He does not want to be used for selfish purposes. He wants us only to Himself and that is where we will be safe.

To be continued.

Lord, I really want to be one with you.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment