Wednesday 24 May 2017

Our War Against Evil - Using the Armour of God (Part 2)

During the last number of posts I have addressed the necessity of having to watch and pray, since Satan, our enemy, will launch attack after attack. Only our great commander, Jesus Christ, can help us, since He has already overcome Satan. This is therefore a re-post of the series on using the armour of God.


Using the Armor (Part Two)

“In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one,” (Ephesians 6:16).
Note that it says ‘in all circumstances’. The shield protects us against lies and circumstances brought against us. I asked the Lord why the shield would be faith. Immediately a picture formed in my mind. I saw a little girl hiding behind her father when she felt unsure. Faith is the indication that we trust in and rely on the Lord. If a little girl is threatened, it would be foolish of her to anchor her little feet firmly in front of her enemy, challenging him in self defense. Her enemy, who is bigger and stronger than her, would simply abduct her without effort.
The devil is cunning ana powerful liar and on our own we do not really stand a chance against him. His lies are devious and in ourselves we do not have the wisdom to withstand him. Jesus, however, conquered him at the cross and now Satan is very scared of him. Hiding behind the Lord in faith is our shield. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, ‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. 
“Because he holds fast to me in love, says God, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name,’” (Psalm 91: 1, 2, 14).
How do we hide behind the Lord? We live a life of submission to God (James 4:7) and when we are attacked by lies, deception and circumstances, we declare that the Lord is our refuge and shield and verbally resist Satan like Jesus did: “Get behind me Satan in Jesus’ name,” (Matthew 16:23) or “go away Satan in Jesus’ name,” (Matthew 4:10).
“And take the helmet of salvation,” (V17).
Have you ever doubted or felt insecure? All of us have. When you feel insecure you are vulnerable to deception. Sales people use techniques to put their targets into a vulnerable position so that their offers will make them feel safe again. If we are not sure of our salvation, Satan will gladly arrange for us to be deceived into some ungodly doctrine. “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life,” (1 John 5:13). Jesus said: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand,” (John 10: 27-29). Our salvation is our security so we may have peace.
I see in my spirit a little girl walking hand-in-hand with her huge father, looking up at him and smiling. All around them danger is lurking, evil that would love to destroy her, but she is unaware of it for she is safe and content with her father. Then I see a dirty street kid unsure of herself, always looking over her shoulder. Fear and insecurity is written all over her anxious face. She has no one to turn to.
How about you? 
Father, I need to submit to you so I can be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment