Sunday 4 February 2018

John 14 (Twenty) Jesus’ Example of Obedience

Today we are concluding John chapter fourteen.

“30I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, 31but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. Come now; let us leave,” (John 14: 30-31).

Jesus said the prince of this world, which is the devil, is coming. Although he has no hold on me, Jesus said, the world must learn how to be obedient. Jesus did not only talk. He set an example as well. What this passage actually says is that Jesus would not be with the disciples much longer, since the devil was about to arrange for Him to be taken away. He actually had no power over Jesus though, since Jesus had no sin and sin is the foothold Satan has over individuals. In other words, if we allow continuous sin in our lives, we give Satan the right to mess with us.

In Jesus’ case, however, because Jesus took all our sins upon Himself in obedience to His Father in order to set us free, He allowed Satan to take Him. Jesus basically said: ‘Through my obedience - the humiliation and death on the cross - the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what My Father has commanded me.’ Those following this teaching and example are expected to do the same. How many of us do exactly as we are told, or do we first consider whether it will suit us to obey? The Lord is compassionate and loving, just as a good earthly father is toward his children (just much more perfect), but He will not tolerate disobedience, just as a good earthly father will not. What a change will the world see if we, as God’s children, start doing exactly as our Father has commanded us?

Let me give an example. Some brother is not pleasing God and you see it. You know in your heart that he must be reprimanded for him to come in line with God’s will, so that God’s blessing can be his. This, however, would demand of you to sacrifice some of your busy schedule to take time to talk with him. It might also result in an argument, which will not be comfortable. You might become unpopular and known to be interfering in other people’s business.

So what do we do? Do we choose to do exactly as we are told? Do we maybe choose an easy way out such as ‘praying’ for the brother or do we simply ignore the Lord? Doing exactly as the Lord told us usually costs something, such as persecution (2 Timothy 3:12), but disobedience may lead to discipline (Hebrews 12:1-12). Do we choose our comfort or obedience to the Lord?

Lord, I want to be as obedient as Jesus was.


No comments:

Post a Comment