Sunday 28 July 2019

31. Sermon on the Mount Secrets - Are you Right?


We are busy talking about how our lives affect others. The passage we were looking at is You have heard that it was said to people long ago, “Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.” But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. And again, anyone who says to his brother, “Raca,” is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, “You fool!” will be in danger of the fire of hell. (Matthew 5:21 and 22). This is the last post on this section.
Galatians 5 says that the carnal nature opposes the Spirit. Paul says in Philippians that we work out the salvation of our souls with fear and trembling because the carnal nature, together with external temptations, does not easily yield to the Spirit.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. (Romans 7:15-22)

Therefore, we fight this battle: we keep on sinning by committing murder with our mouths. Our sinful nature keeps on resisting the Spirit. We (our sinful nature) keep on doing what we (our renewed spirit) do not want to do. What is the solution? The key is in the word “forgiveness.”

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9)

By confessing these sins of the tongue, we are forgiven and once again in right standing with God, but what about our neighbor? “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift,” (Matthew 5:23, 24). Jesus is saying that since you have called your brother an idiot, don’t come and worship Me until you have sorted things out with him.
Picture the following: Church is about to begin. You and your son just had a good fight, ending with words bordering on “raca” or “you fool.” Or perhaps you and your spouse had words in the past week. “Raca” was probably part of it. Neither of you, however, has yet apologized. Or maybe another Christian differed with you on a certain point and “raca” was either mentioned or implied.
As you are about to bring your sacrifice of praise to the heavenly altar, you remember this murder you have committed. Do you think the one you have slandered with your tongue, whether you were right or wrong, has something against you after what you’ve said? Maybe she is mad, but maybe she is so used to it that she has already forgiven you before you asked. Maybe she has forgotten about it, but inside, it still hurts. Whether she forgave you or not, no one can receive murderous words and not get hurt.
What does Jesus command? It is the same principle as His command in Matthew 6:14, 15: “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” In this case, you are also the one in need of forgiveness, both from your neighbor and from God. What Jesus said here indirectly is mentioned clearly in 1 John 4:20: “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.”
Jesus says here that if you refuse to make right with your brother, or if you make light of the offense by ignoring it, you actually hate your brother because you don’t care how he feels. In such a case, you actually hate God. Of what worth is your sacrifice of praise then?
We may think that bringing a sacrifice to God means asking forgiveness of sins. However, according to our passage, we cannot expect forgiveness unless we are reconciled with our brother. God’s standards are much higher than we think. We think we can keep on sinning, accomplishing our own purposes, leaving wrecked souls behind us. We are often so ambitious, valuing only people who can help us to reach our goals, that we leave hurting people behind. We can even be too insensitive to realize they need reconciliation. But God sees this. He knows about it when we bring our sacrifices. When we do not hear His voice or He does not answer our prayers, we complain that our prayers hit the ceiling.
Why did Jesus consider it important to speak to His disciples about anger and insults? He wants us to be different from the world. He wants us to love and forgive like His father does. It’s natural for us to get angry, but the Word says in Psalm 4:4: “In your anger, do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent.”
Do you want to be more like Jesus? Then obey the Father like Jesus did.

For children and adults who are prepared to learn in a childlike way. For more information see http://t-a-c.co.za.





No comments:

Post a Comment