Thursday 11 October 2012

Being Alert Equals Life (Part Two)

Good morning.

What kind of temptation must we watch out for? We don’t know. That is why a country and its army have spies. They don’t know what the enemy’s next move is going to be or what threat the country faces in terms of terrorism and crime. Satan and his subjects work undercover and in darkness and they need to be sniffed out, so to speak, which is why we are commanded to watch.

We need to be constantly alert. On the front in a warzone the soldiers expect anything from their enemy, so they are constantly on guard. Guards are posted at the base and landmine detectors go ahead of the vehicles searching for landmines. There is no such thing as everybody having a leisurely time in the canteen after a day’s work or a relaxing drive.

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings,” (1 Peter 5:8-9).

Satan’s primary purpose is to “to steal and kill and destroy” (John 10:10) so that our relationships with the Lord and each other can be affected. For example he doesn’t want the Kingdom of God to grow. If he therefore could rob us from our security in Mammon, so we can worry and put our own needs before those of the Lord, he succeeded in hindering us to first seek God’s kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33) and managed to make us ineffective.

In another example Satan knows that Jesus said in John 13:35: “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another”. Therefore if he can succeed in messing up relationships between Christians and by that causing them to be selfish, the world would lose interest in Christianity since to them these people, serving a so-called loving God, are no different from them.

He is out to kill our passion for Christ through the busyness of our lifestyles, our self-centred approach to life and our need to be self-sufficient. He destroys our efficiency by tempting church entities to become religious and man-centred, resulting in millions of passive Christians warming the pews on Sundays as they listen to adorable preachers who seem to conveniently ignore the commands in God’s word to obey what He tells us to do, and therefore not preach it and make it happen – all these are temptations.

Can you see the subtlety of these temptations? So what is the solution? The solution is to hear from the Lord, to walk daily in the Holy Spirit – to watch and pray. In our previous message we likened the Holy Spirit to a satellite that can see where we cannot. He watches on our behalf and we just need to be in the control room to receive the information that the Holy Spirit relays through to us.

I have been in a position where I lost a lot by being tricked by my flesh into making disastrous decisions, which I thought at the time was right. The Lord, however, has seen it coming and ahead of the crunch gradually gave me passages from the Bible that would create faith in my heart and give me a solution in the situation. When the crunch came I was settled in the Lord and knew why it had happened, what new direction the Lord sent me into, and how He was going to care for us. Because I walk by the Spirit daily, I picked these up in my spirit and made it my portion. I did not panic and ran to Mammon for help, but silently humbled myself before the Lord, repented of my foolishness and once again surrendered my life to Him. This sounds very super spiritual, but I am far from that and am learning daily to surrender more of my time and resources to Him.

There are much more to temptation than the obvious, for there are so many areas in which we can be hindered to be what the Lord’s heart’s desire is for us as individuals.

Holy Spirit, I want to be tuned into you so I can receive the information regarding temptations that you relay to me.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment