Sunday 26 March 2017

Help! Save me Out!

Recently I picked up a hiker on my way to work. My drive to work takes me forty-five minutes, which leaves ample time for conversation.

Among the light conversation we made, I asked him whether he knows Jesus, which he confirmed as most South Africans would. I left it at that for a while, making other conversation.

Then I returned to the topic asking him whether he is sure he would go to heaven should he die, which he denied.

Now you should know this was not planned - this was a divine appointment. Therefore when I asked whether he knows that he can be certain, the Holy Spirit led me to follow my question up with the passage from 1 John 5:13: “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

As I explained this to him an interesting revelation started unfolding in my heart. Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3:15-16 that whoever believes in Him will be saved.

We are led to think that if we believe in Jesus' existence we shall be saved and inherited eternal life. But consider this for a moment.

·         Why do you trust your doctor with your health?
·         Why do you trust your financial consultant with your money?
·         Why do you trust the restaurant to provide you with safe and tasty food?
·         Why do you trust your spouse to support you in various ways?
·         Why do you trust the shop you purchase from?

Is it not because you believe in them?

There are various reasons why you believe in them.

·         They have given you excellent service.
·         They have proven themselves.
·         They have shown they care.
·         They have displayed love towards you.

So believing in a person means you are going to trust them to look after you in whatever you need from them, does it not?

What did Jesus mean when He said that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life?

James 2:19 states: “You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!”

Believing in Jesus’ existence is not sufficient, even the demons do that. Declaring you are a believer and going through the religious motions of Bible reading, church going, weekly home group meetings, and so on are not sufficient. Jesus spells out the terrible reality in Matthew 7:21-23: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”

In James 2:17 we read: “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”

Believing in the existence of God and of Jesus’ sacrifice is not enough. Your life needs to demonstrate by means of your actions and your relationship with Him that you believe in His ability to control your life. Also that His commands and Word are true and the only way by which you’re prepared to live. That is where holiness comes in – being set aside for the Lord.

Believing in Jesus is therefore an active trust in Jesus and his abilities and a proof of your love and devotion. “‘Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.’ Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, ‘Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?’ Jesus answered him, ‘If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me, (John 14:21-24).”

This is what will reserve your place in His presence – loving Jesus actively through a relationship of obedience.

Jesus said in Matthew 24:12-13: “Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” Note He said ‘most’.

Are you just religious, having added Christianity to your portfolio of success, or do you have an active love relationship with Jesus and His Father?


Father God, I seek an active relationship with you in Jesus. Please guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment