Sunday 20 October 2019

40. Sermon on the Mount Secrets - How to Forgive


You have heard that it was said, ”Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.” But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Matthew 5:38-41)

The above passage can be summarized in one word: forgiveness. But what is forgiveness? We hear “forgive and forget,” all the time. Also, “But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins,” (Matthew 6:15).
When I was a young pharmacist, my friend John, a Christian man, gave me a position managing his pharmacy. Being inexperienced, I acted very ethically, which is not always good for business. The customers complained to John, and he, being a nervous, impulsive man, said that we need to either cancel the contract, or I would spend the rest of the contract time sitting in the back of the pharmacy while he managed it.
I agreed to cancel but was bitter. In the weeks following, it so happened that I had to walk past the pharmacy to the post office every day to get my mail. I grumbled at him every time I passed the shop, but he didn’t know. Then late one evening, after the shop was closed, the Lord told me to stop. He then told me to forgive John.
“I forgive him,” I said willingly, for I loved to obey the Lord, and started to walk on.           
“Wait,” the Lord whispered, “now you must bless him.” 
“Bless him?” I said. “If he prospers, it will prove to him that I’ve made a mess. No, I can’t bless him, but I’ve forgiven him.”
The Lord just gave me that all-knowing frown of His. I quickly blessed my brother’s business.
A few days later, I remembered that John had promised me a percentage of the profit as an annual bonus, so I went to claim it.
“You ruined my profit,” John said. “You don’t deserve a bonus.”
Since it was not true, my anger rose, and I started to storm out of the shop.
“Tell him he doesn’t have to pay you the bonus,” God spoke to my heart.
I have learned that when the Lord speaks, you do what He says. So I told John, trying not to sound like “you can stick your bonus up your you-know-what.”
“You don’t need to pay my bonus, because I’ve forgiven you.”
But the Lord was in control. Not long after that, my bonus cheque came in the mail. To this day, John and I are good friends.
Since then, I can’t hold anything against anybody. I can’t sue or force money from anybody. I can’t stay angry for longer than a few moments, and I do have quite a temper. I have lost a lot of money, but because God is true to His Word, I have been forgiven a lot as well. I also maintain the principle that when someone overcharges me or doesn't pay me back or stole from me, I bless them with the money. That way I receive my blessing since I haven't lost something to someone, but has given it away. This attitude sets one free.
If you read our passage once again, you’ll see that this testimony is a practical example of what Jesus tries to say. Forgiveness is more than words or thoughts. It is a lifestyle of giving and blessing for the sake of peace and a good testimony. If our focus is on the Lord and His plan and desires for us, we won’t even notice other people’s wrongs toward us. What God thinks of us is what will be important.
“Do not repay evil for evil or insult for insult, but with blessing,” (1 Peter 3:9a). “But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be the sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked,” (Luke 6:35). See also Matthew 5:44 and Luke 6:27.
True love is an action and not a feeling. Do you think that anybody ever feels like doing good to their enemies? There is a reason why he is your enemy. You don’t like one another, and you don’t feel like helping him or caring for him. If love was a feeling, how could one possibly love his enemies? However, since love is not a feeling, how do we love our enemies? Isn’t it by doing love, even if you don’t feel like it? You don’t have to like him to love him. This is what this passage is all about—doing things that will astonish a world of people accustomed only to giving and being polite as long as it does not affect their personal comfort.
The Lord expects us to love one another as well as our enemies. Then His name will be glorified, and His Kingdom will grow. Our pride causes us to retaliate and harbour bitterness. God is the one who will sort out our enemies. The Lord said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” (Deuteronomy 32:35).
Apart from forgiveness, our verse also highlights an attitude of humility and trust. The carnal nature and pride demand that we look after ourselves, that we fight for what is rightfully ours; in short, that we stand on our rights. If someone demands that I walk a mile with him, I’ll dig up some money for bus fare instead. If someone takes my tunic, I’ll slap him, shoot him, or take him to court, not to mention what I’ll do if he hits me. This is often how we feel, isn’t it? Human nature and pride want to retaliate, cover, and protect our own interests, but the Lord wants us to expose ourselves, make ourselves vulnerable so that we can learn to rely on Him and trust Him. He wants us to be the least because the world expects retaliation. If they see humility and love, it makes them wonder about the God of these Christians and thus brings Him glory. It also opens the opportunity for us to testify about the Lord’s goodness.
The closer we live to the Lord, tapping from the sap of the Vine, the more we will learn to love and trust our Advocate to sort out our enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment