Sunday 3 November 2019

42. Sermon on the Mount Secrets - How about Good Works? Part 2

In the previous post we began looking at the verse in Matthew 5:42: Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
The second part of our passage is based on the same principle as above. From Luke 6:28 onward, we find Luke’s record of the section we read in Matthew.

“Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.” (Luke 6:30)

“And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” (Luke 6:34-36)

Again, we have the freedom to decide in what way we want to be testimonies to the love of God. The more we give, the more we receive. The key in the latter passage is the notion of being different from the sinners. Being like God must carry much more weight with us than does the value of our property.
The other day, I heard a pastor say that greed causes concern about what the church does with our money. It is difficult to part with our money, because we want to control it ourselves. The same principle applies to lending. If I am too attached to material goods or money, it is hard to trust others with it.
As far as lending our possessions is concerned, few of us have endless resources, and other people don’t take as good care of our goods as we do. We don’t always have the money to replace the loaned item if it gets damaged by the borrower. I am often leery to loan out my possessions, since they often return broken. But one thing I loaned out came back in one piece, and God has blessed it ever since.
            Here’s the story. Many years ago, the chairman of our Christian motorcycle club organized an outreach to a motorcycle rally in northeast Zimbabwe. Then his motorcycle was stolen.
At the time, I lived in Pretoria, South Africa. I felt the urge to lend him my new motorcycle for the trip. It wasn’t an easy decision, since this bike was precious to me, and the trip was a thousand miles long, covered over two weeks. I didn’t know whether I should loan it to him or not, so I asked one of my spiritual leaders.
He said that nothing good comes from man, so such an idea must have been from the Lord. So, in obedience, I loaned the leader my bike.
 Ever since then, my bike has been a blessing. I’ve had it for over eighteen years and 100,000 miles, which is surprising for a motorcycle. In the end, I sold it for a good price. 
         To give is a faith thing. If I give in a way the Lord directs me and trust Him to make sure the money is used in the right way, it is easier to part with. Lending should be handled like giving; in consultation with God. He knows the hearts of all men. We are His instruments, accomplishing His purposes. When He wants to bless, He uses us. When He wants to discipline, He also uses us. Be in touch always! But the aim should be to rather obey these passages in Matthew and Luke.

For children and adults who are prepared to learn in a childlike way. For more information see http://t-a-c.co.za.


No comments:

Post a Comment