Saturday 18 February 2012

Be a Babbler!

Good morning.

We continue with the series on the gifts of the Holy Spirit as per 1 Corinthians 12:7-10 and now also chapter 14.


I’d like to elaborate a bit on personal praying in tongues. Like we’ve mentioned in a previous message, it’s a practical way of praying continually as we are instructed in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to do. We are not called the bride of Christ for no reason. I’m a fervent people watcher and have noticed how a woman in love acts towards her man. I’m not only referring to first love, but to true love over many years. She loves to share her life with her man in telling him all kinds of things. She loves being dependent on him and ask for advice. A woman in true love relies on her man and wants him to know it, and the man in love loves it.


The Lord desires the same of His bride. He loves to hear the chatter of His beloved in His ears. He encourages us various times in the Bible to ask of Him and tells us to intercede for one another. He knows we will not always have the words to pray continually, which is why He gifted us with the ability of praying in tongues. “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words,” (Romans 8:26).


When I pray in tongues, which I do at every available moment because I’ve discovered its power, I go into real fellowship with the Lord. Verbally I’m not a man of many words, unless the topic is Jesus, so I don’t always know what to say. I therefore keep praying in tongues and as I pray, people’s names or circumstances or Kingdom issues etc. comes to mind. I then mention it in one sentence to the Lord and continue praying in tongues, assuming my praying in tongues would be intercession for those issues. I know that is what the Holy Spirit gave me to pray about.

When I promise I would pray for someone, I quietly pray a verbal prayer there and then and then tell the Lord that, whenever I pray in tongues, I include this person in the prayer. In that way I can’t forget to pray for them. Quite often, even while I’m working, this praying in tongues will deepen in intensity and I would feel the presence of the Lord very real. During those times I always feel like closing my eyes for a few moments and only focus on the prayer. I assume that is when “the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words”.


Why did the Lord give us the ability to pray in tongues and instructed us to pray without ceasing or continually? Because He knows the devil finds work for idle hand to do and He therefore wants us to be continuously busy focusing on Him. There were times when I didn’t pray so fervently and it was at times like that when temptation came much quicker and falling for it much easier. I found that if I increase my praying in tongues, I’m not tempted so easily.


I therefore encourage you, if you’re not filled with the Holy Spirit to let me know at discipleliving@gmail.com so I could guide you into it. If you are filled, you do have the ability to pray in tongues. Use it as much as you can.


Lord Jesus, I desire to stay in touch with you non-stop through the Holy Spirit.


If you benefited from this, why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on. Please also pray for the spreading of it to those who need it. Please feel free to ask questions or discuss thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment