Wednesday 15 February 2012

Use Your Tongues (Part One)

Good morning.

We continue with the series on the gifts of the Holy Spirit as per 1 Corinthians 12:7-10.

When the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:4, they “began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.” It was the first thing that happened as evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. Being born again should naturally be followed by being baptised and being filled with the Holy Spirit. Having received these three gifts enables us to be one with the Lord.


Some Christians haven’t received teaching or revelation about being filled with the Holy Spirit and are therefore either unaware of-, or don’t believe in the power of speaking in tongues. I grew up in a church that neither believed in being filled with the Holy Spirit, nor practiced the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They didn’t even preach the need for being born again. But the Lord had a plan for my life, so I was hungry to have it all. He therefore placed people on my path to introduce me to these important aspects of the Kingdom. When I was prayed for to be filled with the Holy Spirit, I chose to believe that I had the ability to speak in tongues, for that is what the Bible said I should have. I still remember how I hesitantly started to make certain noises by faith and, although it felt as if I created them, I chose to believe they were from the Holy Spirit. Soon I was able to speak in tongues. Ever since it had magnificent power in my life, for I pray in tongues most of the time when I don’t speak.

The use of speaking in tongues has two functions. When Paul gave teaching about the use of the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 14 he mentioned praying in tongues in verse 14. “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.” In verse 18 he said: “I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.” This indicates that he prayed in tongues. How else will it be possible to “pray without ceasing,” (1 Thessalonians 5:17)?


Secondly, the gift of tongues is a prophetic function within the congregation. The Holy Spirit chose it as one of the ways He wants to communicate with us and, together with the interpretation of tongues, it seems the most ignored of the gifts. I don’t know whether man wants to manipulate or regulate the church services, but the Holy Spirit chose to use whoever He wants to to have a say in the congregation, and if the use of these gifts are ignored or manipulated, we cannot expect to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit during our services. I realise the leaders have a need for order in the church and a fear for false doctrine to enter, but if we have prayed beforehand we need to trust the Lord that He will be in control. His ways may be different from ours, but since He chose the right person for the job, it will be a job well done – according to His will and not ours. Then we’ll see revival.


Holy Spirit, please help us to yield to you.


If you benefited from this, why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on. Please also pray for the spreading of it to those who need it. Please feel free to ask questions or discuss thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment