Thursday 26 April 2012

Work Out Your Own Salvation

Our Intercession blog is Alive! – find link to your right è

Current topic: Pray with Us for Struggling Christians and Persecuted Church. Remember you can still pray for Families and the Church.

Good morning.

What is it that develops our walk with the Lord, makes us acceptable to Him and prepares us for being in His presence? First of all we need to receive a new spirit through being born again. In John 3 “Jesus declared, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again,’ (V3). “Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit,’” (V5-8).

Now that we have a new spirit, we have to bring our soul in line with our spirit. As we have discussed in the last few messages; walking by the Spirit, i.e. being led by the Holy Spirit is what life in Christ is all about. To get there, however, we need to sanctify our human nature, which is why Paul tells us to “continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,” (Philippians 2:12) and in James 1:2-4 we read: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

There are many more passages in the Bible that encourage us that the Lord will work at our position of holiness before Him and we need to submit to Him so He could renew us. The Lord works only with our permission, so it’s our choice whether we want to develop those qualities needed to be efficient in obedience, or whether we want to be mediocre Christians who will stand empty handed before God one day.

Many years ago I worked for a Christian pharmacist, managing His pharmacy, and because I acted ethically and did not please the customers who were used to getting medicine in not-so-ethical ways, he asked me to leave. I was bitter towards him and, since I lived near the pharmacy and had to walk past it often, I always grumbled at him. One day the Lord stopped me and told me to forgive him. Because I’d like to please the Lord I said ‘I forgive him’. Words always come easily, but then the Lord told me to bless him. ‘Bless him Lord, no way! If I bless him, he would be convinced that I did harm to his business.’ The Lord just shrugged. Well I did bless him and felt much better.

Some days later I remembered he owed me a bonus. I went to him asking when I’d get it. He asked me whether I think I deserved a bonus after what I’ve done. I got angry and walked out, but at the door the Lord stopped me. ‘Tell him he doesn’t have to pay the bonus, it’s okay – but be nice about it.’ I went back to him and told him, trying not to sound like ‘you can stick your bonus you know where’. A week or so later my bonus came in the post and our relationship was restored. I’ve learned the principle of true forgiveness.

This is how we work out our own salvation if we are surrendered to the Lord. Since then forgiveness came more automatically for me, but the Lord wasn’t finished with me yet. More trials were to follow. See the next message.

Lord, I want to be like Jesus and am prepared to work out my own salvation. Please help me.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

If you benefited from this, why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter or forward the e-mail reminder to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on. Please pray as well for its distribution to those who need it and feel free to ask questions or discuss thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment