Saturday 19 May 2012

Abraham Two – The Lord’s Training

Good morning.

Abram walked a journey with the Lord. All the details of how the Lord led him are not written down, but since he was a godly man he would have daily sought the Lord’s will and direction. He came to a place where the Lord told him: “‘To your offspring I will give this land.’ So he built an altar there to the Lord, who had appeared to him,” (Genesis 12:7).

Abram’s immediate reaction to the Lord’s direction was worship. He treasured the Lord’s guidance and interest in him - the fact that he could be a chosen instrument in the Lord’s hands. Even though he probably would have liked the Lord to show him where he could settle, Abram had his sights set on God’s greater plan and not on his own needs, which is why the Lord chose him for the task. How about you?

How do you respond to the Lord’s working in your life, “for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose,” (Philippians 2:13b) and when He says “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you,” (Psalm 32:8)? Do we submit to Him, receiving what He brings across our path with grace, or do we rebel, choosing to follow our own way of serving Him? If we want to make a difference to our world as God’s hands and feet, we need to be useful hands and feet and therefore have to surrender to His pruning. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful,” (John 15:1, 2).

Since a journey with the Lord always includes development and training, Abram had to learn a few lessons as well. He therefore happened to end up in Egypt and, obviously knowing Egyptians’ reputation, he realised he would have to do something about his wife Sarai, since she was a beautiful women and Abram feared they might kill him to get her. He followed his human instinct, instead of relying on the Lord, and lied: “Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you,” (V13). The Lord’s reaction amazed me. One would think that the Lord would have disciplined Abram for being such a coward, but He disciplined the Egyptians: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2012:14-20&version=NIV1984. It’s probable that the Lord had a private talk with Abram, which was not recorded, since the Lord has always disciplined His people and we are clearly informed about discipline in Hebrews 12:4-13.

We tend to idolise people and this includes the men and women of the Bible, but if you look carefully, not a single one of them were without a flaw. Abraham was a coward and a liar, Jacob a deceiver, David an adulterer, Paul a murderer, Peter a liar, etc. What is your weakness? “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me,” (2 Corinthians 12:9). The Lord is not concerned about our ability, but is interested in our heart attitude.

If we are in God’s will, He will look after us. He does say in Psalm 91:14-16: “‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.’”

Do you love the Lord? Show it to Him through your faith and obedience and then rest in Him.

I’ll do just that, Lord.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment