Sunday 6 November 2011

Firewalls of the Thoughts (Part One)

 

The purpose of a computer firewall program is to stop intruders from accessing our computer and causing harm. We meticulously install firewalls and anti-virus software because we understand the importance of protecting our computer’s data and functionality. Why then, do we not take such care to safeguard our minds against intruders who would do us harm?

 An old lady was once asked why she could not say anything negative about anybody - surely she could not see anything good in the devil? “He has no lazy hair on his head,” she replied. It is true that the devil does not rest - he is constantly trying to influence our thoughts and actions. Jesus told the Pharisees in John 8:44: “You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies”. He also told His disciples that “the thief [the devil] comes only to steal and kill and destroy,” (John 10:10).


Since the devil was defeated by Jesus on the cross, he has no power apart from the power of the lie. His lies come in the form of temptations. We often think that temptation only relates to sins such as stealing, lusting, hating, breaking the Ten Commandments etc. However, sin is much more than that. We sin when we are proud, desire fame or power, disbelieve, fear, disobey the Lord, act unloving, become depressed, gossip, worry, etc. These sins bring division between the Lord and us (Isaiah 59:1-3) and that is exactly what the devil aims for. The battlefield, therefore, is our mind.

Focusing on ourselves opposes our seeking first of the Kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33) and separates us from God’s plan. Through Satan’s temptations to get us to focus on ourselves, he aims to steal our joy and fruitfulness, kill our usefulness and in the end destroy our relationship with the Lord. I have been there, I know.

However, Jesus said: “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand,” (John 10:27-29) and  "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you,” (Hebrews 13:5).

We need a firewall to stop this constant hail of tempting, self-centred thoughts from entering our minds and hindering our fruitfulness. I have fought this off for years and have lost many times. I have learned a thousand ways how not to go about it and think I have discovered a golden nugget in effective firewalling. In the next message, I would like to share some of it. (To be continued)
Please make a difference on the earth by praying with us through The Salt Prayer Offensive!
Please help children getting a better life by being involved with The Faith Warriors Kids Club! 

No comments:

Post a Comment