Thursday 1 March 2012

A Dog’s Love.

Good morning.

The Lord uses many ways to talk to us, to show us what He’s like and how He’d like us to behave towards Him and our neighbours.

A dog is called a man’s best friend and if you have dogs or had dogs you would understand what it means. If we could only learn from a dog how to unconditionally love and worship, we’ll be much closer to the Lord.

I can’t speak for everybody’s dog, but can tell what I’ve experienced with trained dogs that live in loving and disciplined homes, and I’ve seen the same in all of them.

As you know, a dog chooses for himself a family member as a master. It’s usually the person who trains, disciplines and feeds him. I am my dog’s master and when I’m not here Julia, my wife, takes my place. When I get home he stands at the transparent front door in anticipation for me to open the door, his tail going wild. When I delay to enter, he gives the occasional bark and twists about in eager expectation – he’s about to see and love his master again. When I enter he’s all over me, hugging and ‘kissing’ me (not on the lips though).

Then the following starts. He follows me upstairs and sits there, staring lovingly at me whilst I put on my exercise clothes and get on the exercise bike. In the beginning he tried to love me physically while I was on the bike, but found out the peddles are actually moving and might hurt if he comes too close. Wherever I am he would keep his eyes on me, ready to obey the slightest command I would give, and when I command, he obeys (although sometimes reluctantly when it would take him away from me). For the rest he would adore me. When we sit at the dinner table he lies on my feet and when we watch television he lies on my lap. When my wife cleans the house, he follows her everywhere and when she bends down to for instance scoop up the dust in a dustpan, he uses the opportunity to cuddle her.

When any of the family members are sad he’s at their side for moral support, whining with empathy and cuddling with encouragement. We got him after my daughter left home, so he didn’t really know her, but when she visited one weekend, she became sad about something and went upstairs to her room. The lounge was buzzing with people and nobody really noticed her leaving, but He did. He left the lounge where he had all the attention and went to her room to comfort her. When any of us are in danger, he would protect us.

Is our attention constantly on our Lord? Do we watch Him every minute of every day, attentive of His slightest command to obey? Do we look at Him adoringly, enjoying His love and beauty? Do we express our love for Him verbally and enjoy being in His presence all the time? Are we excited when we get up in the morning to enjoy another day with Him? Would we come up for Him when His enemies ridicule Him and blaspheme His name? Do we serve those He loves, our brothers and sisters, through support and encouragement?

You see, when I realised how much my dog adores and worships me, it made me consider how much I actually love and worship my Master.

“Exalt the LORD our God; worship at his footstool! Holy is he!” (Psalm 99:5), “Let us go to his dwelling place; let us worship at his footstool!” (Psalm 132:7).

I’d like to worship you, my Lord... continuously.

If you benefited from this, why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on. Please also pray for the spreading of it to those who need it. Please feel free to ask questions or discuss thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment