Wednesday 25 January 2012

O, the Agony!!

Good morning.

We said yesterday that Psalm 22 is an account of Jesus’ experience of the crucifixion as prophesied by King David.

It begins with the words: “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? I have cried desperately for help, but still it does not come (V1 GNB).” Because Jesus had all our sins put on Him on the cross, Father God had to turn His back on Him, since God can’t face the presence of sin, which is why Jesus called out during the crucifixion: “‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me (Matthew 27:46)?’” The words; ‘I have cried desperately for help, but still it does not come’, probably referred to His anxious prayer in Gethsemane “‘Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done (Luke 22:41-44).’” Help didn’t come because He had submitted Himself to God’s will and knew He had to go through with it, due to His great love for us. He was nevertheless just a man at the time and strained in His heart at the thought of what was coming. Even though He was willing, it did not mean it was easy. Apart from the physical pain of crucifixion and death, the agony of being rejected and under the attack of sin and evil was horrendous.
As we know from John 5:19, Jesus was completely dependent on His Father whilst on earth. Without Father God He had no power and was a mere vulnerable man. On the cross Jesus was thus on His own. His friends had abandoned Him, His Father’s protection and power were gone and Satan had an open door to enter. Yet He still exalted and praised His Father in verses 3-5, for He knew God’s plan and that His agony was an essential part in it. What was happening to Him did not matter, however hard it was, it was the outcome that mattered. If only we could submit to the Lord in such a way that we would take anything He send our way as long as He accomplishes His purposes.

In this prayer Jesus poured out His heart to God. He expressed how He felt: “I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads (Psalm 22:6, 7 ESV).” How do these words make you feel about your loving Lord and what He went through?


He then described how He experienced evil as they moved in on His unprotected, sin-laden body and as they instigated people around the cross: “Many bulls encompass me”, “they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion”, “for dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet”, “they stare and gloat over me” (Verses 12-17 ESV).  Can you put yourself in Jesus’ position, can you feel His agony and fear, does reading this bring a tear to your eye.

Lord, help me feel what you went through for me.


We’ll continue tomorrow.


If you benefited from this, why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on. Please also pray for the spreading of it to those who need it. Please feel free to ask questions or discuss thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment