Wednesday 11 July 2012

About Paul (Six) – Weak or Strong?

Good morning.

We spoke about the idolising of people in our previous message. When we do that, we consider them better than us. We need to remember that people put their best foot forward in front of other people and we never know how they are at home or when they are on their own. Many times we envy other people’s lives and then find out that they actually envy us in turn.

Pastors often appear so perfect at church and some even feel that they have to for the sake of their congregation. How can the flock know about our weaknesses and daily battles, about our struggle in our marriage to often understand one another, and about our weakness where sin so often enters our hearts? If they know it they may not respect us. A pastor of a very big church once admitted from the pulpit that he had had struggles within his marriage and that the Lord had helped them to sort it out. When he shared it, the congregation were very quiet. Afterwards, however, many of his junior pastors came to him with problems in their marriages.

Paul had a very good attitude about this. We said in our previous message that he often felt inferior and weak, even though he appeared powerful to others. In 2 Corinthians 11:16-21 we read: “I repeat: Let no one take me for a fool. But if you do, then receive me just as you would a fool, so that I may do a little boasting. In this self-confident boasting I am not talking as the Lord would, but as a fool. Since many are boasting in the way the world does, I too will boast. You gladly put up with fools since you are so wise! In fact, you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face. To my shame I admit that we were too weak for that! What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about.” He then went on telling about himself in verses 22-29: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Corinthians%2011:22-29&version=NIV1984.

Every personality differs and we may not understand why Paul would have elaborated on this. He could have wanted to make a point to the Corinthian church or could have responded to something they had raised. I must admit that knowing what Paul had gone through does help me in my tough times. However, the important statement that Paul made is: “If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness,” (verse 30), and in chapter twelve verses eight to ten, after he had explained about the thorn in his flesh to prevent him from becoming conceited, he said: “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

We need to realise that we all, including those who appear so perfect, have strengths and weaknesses and that we need to be confident that, even though we feel weak within, the Lord’s strength make us appear strong to others. Countless times I have felt inferior and unworthy and was then dumbfounded when I realised people actually looked up to me.

Never underestimate the Lord. His power is made perfect in you. Don’t respond to how you feel, but keep your eyes on Jesus and realise that in your obedience you will appear to others how He makes you to appear. Paul clearly did not appear to others the way he felt like, but the Lord made him the great apostle he was. You will be made the great whatever you are supposed to be.

Have a look at this picture.

Lord, I am strong in you in spite of how I feel.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment