Tuesday 17 July 2012

Peace That Transcends Understanding

Good morning.

What is peace? The online dictionary defines peace as ‘a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relationships’.

Jesus said in John 16:33: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” In the same breath He said you will have peace and trouble. Based on the definition of peace as the absence of trouble, how can this be? The key is in the words ‘in me’.

Christians live effectively in two places – in the world and in Jesus or His Kingdom - and therefore a simple explanation of this principle is an embassy in a foreign country. If you are abroad, the embassy of your country is essentially a little piece of your country in the foreign country. When you go to the embassy in times of trouble you will be safe, for it is your own people that work there. Outside the embassy the trouble will still be present, but inside will be peace.

However, when it comes to us as Christians and peace within Christ as per John 16:33 above, there are no walls and other people that can physically protect us. So how does it work then? In Philippians 4:6-7 we read: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Being in Jesus is only a prayer away. I have mentioned in some earlier messages that our actual inner room for being alone with the Lord is right inside of us, for that is where the Holy Spirit, who possesses the peace of God, lives. We only need to enter our spirit to be safe from fear and anxiety. The trouble would not necessarily just go away, or we may not suddenly have physical peace, or the persecutors of the church would not just disappear. But, as Paul said to the Philippians, we simply need to enter our spirit and tell the Lord about our trouble and He will then protect our mind with an inner peace which we will not understand, even though the trouble has not yet disappeared.

In my career I see many people trying to get rid of their concerns and troubles with the help of medication, but it does not seem to help for in time their conditions deteriorate. I am so grateful that we have Jesus, for His promises are true. As I look back on my life I realise that, if it wasn’t for Jesus’ peace, I may have been a psychological wreck, but He taught me to let go of my pride and run to Him for help in everything. We should not even try to solve the problem ourselves, but immediately go to Him.

The peace we have is in our belief that, once we have given the problem over to the Lord, He will take control of the situation so we can relax and have peace in Him. We are free to take the problem back and deal with it ourselves again, but then we must bear the consequences – trouble in the world.

I have found that casting my cares on Jesus, calling on Him in times of trouble, gives me an inner peace that the Lord is in control. He guides me in what I have to do to resolve the situation, and for the rest He miraculously sorts things out until even the trouble goes away.

When trouble therefore heads your way, enter your spirit where the Holy Spirit lives and hide there until peace protects your mind and heart. The physical trouble may either eventually also go if you trust the Lord, or it will change you for the better. We need to remember, though, that we live for the sake of God’s purposes and if our trouble or hardship benefits His Kingdom it may not go, but we still have His inner peace as our protection.

Lord, I bring my anxieties to you. Thank you for your peace.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment