Sunday 10 March 2013

John 15 (Fifteen) Servant or Friend?

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen. Some of it will be what I have already written and some will be new. Therefore it may sometimes appear that I leave off in the middle of a topic to be continued, since I have reached my daily word count limit.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.

"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you," (John 15:15).

The first that is very clear in this passage is that Jesus must have called them servants before because He said that He no longer call them servants. Who is Jesus talking to here? If we go back a few chapters we note that He is talking to the twelve disciples and is therefore talking to us as well, since we read in John 17:9: "I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours." John 17:20 :"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message." You may want to read this prayer in John 17. I would call the twelve disciples the prototype of what we would go through and be.

So they seemed to have been servants first. Let us see what we can discover about this. We read in John 12:26: "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honour the one who serves me." And in John 13:16: "I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him." Following a short parable Jesus said to the disciples in Luke 17:10: "So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'" Then we see Him speaking to Pilate in John 18:36: "Jesus said, 'My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.'" This indicates that He talks about His followers as servants. Luke 16:13: "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

Considering our verse under discussion we must realise that the Kingdom is all about servant hood. Jesus put a lot of emphasis on that aspect. We must serve one another, everybody that the Lord loves, and above all the Lord himself. From the above verses and many more in the Bible we gather that we cannot be anything else, because Jesus was a servant himself and said in John 13:16: "I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master." So what does our verse actually say? I think the emphasis is on the second part; "for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." Like Jesus said himself, a servant does not know his master's business. Although a servant attitude in the Lord's Kingdom is essential to make it function properly, those who are obedient are treated as friends of the King of kings and He confides in them with regard to Kingdom issues.

I have something for you to chew on: If we look at the four Gospels, which one is completely different from the others in terms of depth of teaching and approach? I would say it is the Gospel of John. The other three has the same basic 'formula' - a narration of the history of Jesus inclusive of His teachings and parables, whereas John did not even record Jesus' birth, but rather went into much deeper truths with regard to Jesus' existence. And this is the tendency of the whole Gospel of John - a focus on the deeper truth about Jesus and the truth taught by Him. If we read the Epistles of John we experience the same depth and quality, something that make them stand out above the rest of the New Testament, or at least that is how I perceived it. We also know that it was John who had the privilege to experience and write down the Revelation of God.

What am I trying to say? Jesus said "everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." He also said in John 14:21: "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." We read in John 13:23, 19:26, 20:2, 21:7 and 21:20 about the disciple whom Jesus loved and we know it is John. The more we love Jesus, the more important He is to us and the more He will reveal Himself (show Himself) and His secrets to us. John loved Jesus passionately and therefore he desired to know more about Him. He wanted to know more than just the surface. He wanted to be trusted with Jesus’ deepest secrets and that is exactly what he received and wrote down, which is why His writings had so much depth.

Lord, I need to be in a place where I can receive your revelations.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

1 comment: