Friday 8 March 2013

John 15 (Fourteen) Friend of Jesus

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen. Some of it will be what I have already written and some will be new. Therefore it may sometimes appear that I leave off in the middle of a topic to be continued, since I have reached my daily word count limit.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.

We continue from our previous message.

Would He then reject us if we do not obey His commands? Would He refuse fellowship with us if we do not obey? I think it has all to do with friendship and closeness. I used the example before and will use it again. If I have a son who gives me a hard time with his disobedience and disapproved lifestyle, I will still care for him when he is young and will still allow him in my house for family get-togethers when he is grown up. I will not be able to reject him simply because I am his father and love him as a father loves his children, but our friendship will be fragile. It will not be easy to be his friend because of his attitude. We will not be able to be close with regard to our views and I will not be able to confide in him simply because I cannot trust him, since he so many times let me down through his disobedience.

Friendship and everything going with it, such as confidence, closeness and intimacy will be hampered. This is what Jesus was referring to when He said so many times:

John 14:15: "If you love me, you will obey what I command."                                                                  John 14:21: "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."                                                                                                                                          John 15:10: "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love."                                                                    John 15:14: "You are my friends if you do what I command."

Jesus will still care for all His children, He will still nurture, knock, call out, hope and provide, but intimacy and closeness will not be possible to the disobedient. You may have asked now: 'Am I one of the disobedient? Must I do all of His commands to be counted as obedient?'  What has God called you to do? What are your gifts? What is your attitude with regard to your priorities? Is your material self-indulgence of such a nature that you cannot find time for the Lord’s commands or do you have a desire to please the Lord in all you are doing, in other words living a simple life in order to have time and opportunity to be a witness?

We have plenty of commands in the Bible. We have discussed the types in a previous chapter. Do you know these commands and try to do it whenever you have the opportunity? Do you actually sacrifice your time, energy and resources to do what you know God has called you to do? Are you sensitive to the Holy Spirit when He guides you to say something, do something or pray for somebody? Do you know and exercise your gift? We have some gifts listed in Romans 12:6-8: "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; If it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." You will definitely have one of these.

If we read it in the context it is written in, it gives us even more insight in what the Lord desires. "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! 'Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?' 'Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?' For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen. Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, So in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others," (Rom. 11:33 – 12:5).

After this, in the same context as these amazing words that we so often quote on its own and spiritualize:  "Offer your bodies as living sacrifices…, be transformed by the renewing of your mind…", follows this very practical, everyday and ordinary command to use in obedience that which was given us, so God’s Kingdom and the church can function well. Because God is so stunning, we must offer our bodies in service so we could understand Him and His plan for our lives. How do we offer our bodies as living sacrifices, how do we renew our minds and what is our spiritual service really? Is it not doing God’s will through serving in our gift? Do this (everything we have discussed now), Jesus said, and you will be His friend.

I want to be your friend, Jesus.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment