Saturday 30 March 2013

John 16 (Two) Do You Need A Helper?

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen. Some of it will be what I have already written and some will be new. Therefore it may sometimes appear that I leave off in the middle of a topic to be continued, since I have reached my daily word count limit.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.

“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you,” (John 16:4-7).

While Jesus was on earth the disciples simply followed His instruction and guidance. They did not seem to really consider the possibility of Him leaving them and were not altogether aware of His plans, since they seemed to have thought Him to be an earthly king. This we have discussed when we looked at John 14:1-7 in the blog post entitled ‘John 14 (three) Do You Know Him’. The fact that Jesus mentioned their failure to enquire where He was going, shows that they did not fully understand what He was talking about. This is an indication that they were completely dependent on His direction for their lives, as they have been for the last three years. One may now think that they were actually pathetic, for anybody should have some self drive, motivation and a purpose in life – the ability to make something of their lives.

But from this passage the contrary is actually clear. Jesus wanted them to be dependent on the Godhead. They had two options: Either Jesus stayed with them and be their guide or He sent the Holy Spirit to replace Him as their helper. This is exactly where the Lord wants us to be. He does not want us to be independent or to arrange our own lives, but wants us to follow His guidance and direction. “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him,” (Hebrews 11:6). He is pleased when we are dependent on Him.

Verses 8-11give clear indication what the Holy Spirit came to do: “And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged,” (John 16:8-11). It is interesting that Jesus mentioned that the Helper, the Holy Spirit, will convict the world. Why did He mention the world? It is because the disciples were already convicted regarding these. I found the way Jesus listed these convictions very interesting. Verse nine above equals sin to unbelief. Sins (plural) are disobedience to Jesus commands. These can be confessed and we can be cleansed of unrighteousness once we have confessed it (1 John 1:9). But sin which is unbelief can only be pardoned by believing, and conviction for both these types of sin comes from the Holy Spirit.

While Jesus was on earth He could set the example of righteousness and check on the people He dealt with whether they were acting righteously, which is why He reprimanded the Pharisees so vividly, and also others along the way as He went about. Now that Jesus is gone His disciples are dependent on the Bible, which the Holy Spirit arranged to be written under His inspiration as an example of how to live, and on His conviction when they want to be in right standing with Father God (righteousness).

In Matthew 25:31-46 we read about the final judgement: “Then He (the King) will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me,’” (verses 41-43). Those who do not obey the Lord, head for the same judgment Satan will get because of his rebellion, and it is the Holy Spirit’s job to convict them to change.

So where do you stand? Are you just living life the way you like, or are you depending on the Holy Spirit to lead you? Yes Christian, I am actually talking to you. It is very easy to be religious and involved with a church and not obey the Holy Spirit. Have you ever checked yourself how you react when you are put before decisions – do you do as Jesus commanded or do you following human reasoning?

Where do you stand with regard to righteousness, judgment and the sin of unbelief? Do you really believe under all circumstances, are you in right standing with the Lord, and what will He one day say to you in the final judgment?

Help Lord, I need you!

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment