Wednesday 20 March 2013

John 15 (Twenty-one) Just Like He Had!

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen. Some of it will be what I have already written and some will be new. Therefore it may sometimes appear that I leave off in the middle of a topic to be continued, since I have reached my daily word count limit.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.

“Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me,” (John 15:20, 21).

Jesus said here: ‘If I suffered so much, why would you escape it?’ His analogy of master and servant is interesting though. We must admit that many of us do think that we are only destined for prosperity and a good life because of the work He has done on the cross, especially if we do ‘good deeds’. But Jesus stated it slightly differently. He basically said that a servant, who is worth his keep, will follow the master wherever he goes, through good and bad. Therefore since Jesus was persecuted, and still is, His worthy servants will follow in His footsteps. It is a definite with no exception. Many of us may be scared of it and feel to pray like Jesus in Gethsemane – ‘Lord please let this cup pass me’. Many possibly get scared off by actual persecution.

As I thought about this, the song; ‘Where He leads I will follow’ crossed my mind. Jesus knows what it is all about - He was there. He knows temptation and persecution more than any of us and therefore we can trust Him not to let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it,” (1 Corinthians 10:13). The same applies to persecution and when we are persecuted the angels of the Lord is watching over us (Psalm 91).

He did, however, follow this phrase in John 15 up by saying: “If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also,” (V20). It is therefore not all negative and hopeless. In fact history has taught us that often the bark of persecution is worse than its bite. Although many people have suffered and died because of persecution, their end usually was either a deeper walk with the Lord and an understanding of Him, or heaven with Him if they had died. The result for the cause that they have died for was the salvation of many souls. More people also obeyed the disciples than persecuted them.

I think it is imperative that we put emphasis on the words ‘My Teaching’. There are a lot of false preachers out there who preach their own ideas. However, if people obey the disciples’ teaching, which is Jesus’ teaching, the result will be godly fruit. In other words if the disciples stay tuned with Jesus and continually be one with Him, they will preach what He does. Something occurred to me: Why does the world in many materialistic countries have no desire to obey Jesus’ teaching anymore? Is it maybe because the disciples do not any longer preach His teaching? (To be continued)

Lord, I need to follow you all the way.

Have a look at this video link: http://skitguys.com/videos/item/gods-chisel 

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment