Friday 1 March 2013

John 15 (Ten) To the Father’s Glory (Part Two)

Good day

For as long as it takes we are going to study the gospel of John chapters fourteen to seventeen. Some of it will be what I have already written and some will be new. Therefore it may sometimes appear that I leave off in the middle of a topic to be continued, since I have reached my daily word count limit.

To pick up the topic, you may need to read the one or two postings preceding this one.  

How did Jesus love His twelve disciples? As I read the gospels I see Him revealing truths to them, putting them to the test (Matthew 17:24-27), reprimanding them (Luke 9:46-48, Mark 10:35-45), protecting them (Matthew 12:1-8), teaching them faith and creating in them the reality about the life of a follower of Jesus: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world,” (John 16:33). Did He pamper them and promised them a prosperous life? What was their life like? Did they have a wonderful social and comfortable life, each with their congregation that looked well after them? Did they live in comfortable houses and were honoured by men? Every single one died a martyr’s death? Why was it like that? Jesus wanted them to sit on the twelve thrones at the throne of God (Matthew 19:28), and for them to have that reward, they had to pay the price of unconditional obedience to the Lord. Can you see that Jesus loved them just as Father God had loved Him (see previous message)?

And when we look at ourselves, what do we expect from the Lord’s love? ‘Lord, please bless me here and bless me there. Give me this and give me that.’ When I review my life, the times that I asked the latter from the Lord were the times I was the unhappiest, but the times when I lived a self sacrificial life of work and service in the Kingdom, were the most blessed times in my life. Yes the Lord wants to give to us and bless us, for He likes to be asked. However, the old command keeps on ringing – “So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' ... But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well,” (Matthew 6:31-33).

The tricky part of our verse comes next – “... so have I loved you”. We had an explanation on why and how Father God loved Jesus and then Jesus proclaimed that He loves us exactly like that. So what is the conclusion? Father God loves Jesus because Jesus, through the ages, was active in promoting and working hard for Father God’s cause – the building of His Kingdom and for exactly the same reason Jesus loves us. As we go through the rest of this chapter it will come up time and again. Jesus never promised us all kinds of gifts as a token of His love. Right through the New Testament we repeatedly get the same message – He wants us to work, labour, serve, build the Kingdom, obey His commands of which all of them either relates to relationships that will enhance the Kingdom or to work that will build the Kingdom. We have not been saved to be served, but to serve. Just read the New Testament with the aim to find commands and you will see what I mean. The Lord gave us gifts with the view to put it to work (Romans 12:6-8), He gave us talents and ordered us to develop it for the work of the ministry (Matthew 25:15-30), He gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us in the work, He meets our daily needs in order that we can be effective in our work (Matthew 6:33) and so on.

How else will people hear about Jesus if nobody works to tell them? How else will we be encouraged if no-one works to encourage, How else will the body be taught and equipped if nobody works to teach and how else will people see the glory of God if nobody works miracles to draw people’s attention to Him. “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working,” (John 5:17). “As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work,” (John 9:4).

Jesus concluded the sentence in our passage with the words: “Now remain in my love”. How do we remain in His love (to be continued)?

Father, please love me as you loved Jesus and Him His disciples.

Thank you Lord that your Word went out from your mouth, via your servant’s pen, and it will not return to you empty, but will accomplish what you desire and achieve the purpose for which you sent it.

Please pass this on if you think others may benefit by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment