Friday 23 December 2011

Get to Know the Lord through Moses’ Life (Part Two)

The Lord called Moses to deliver the Israelites from Pharaoh. “Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt (Exodus 3:10).” I can imagine Moses’ feelings. ‘What... me?’ His heart probably started to throb out of control, a thousand thoughts swirling through his mind. He saw more than a million Israelites on one hand and Pharaoh, whom he knew all too well, on the other.

“But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?’ (Exodus 3:11)”

Moses didn’t have the most brilliant of self-images. If you read on in this passage you’ll see that he made every attempt to get out of it, but God knew what He wanted. At the end of Exodus two I noticed the following: “And God heard their (Israel’s) groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw the people of Israel - and God knew (Exodus 2:24, 25).” The chapter ended abruptly with these words and I asked myself; what did God know? Then I paged over to chapter three where Moses’ encounter with God was recorded. The Lord simply knew whom He was going to use to deliver Israel. He looked at the situation and at the man Moses and then merged them successfully. Moses was the man for that situation. Through Moses the Lord would do what He planned, so He arranged a meeting with His chosen vessel.

When you were born, the Lord had already assessed the world you were born into and He knew what you would be best for. He knew your personality, what would become of you, who your friends and colleagues would be, what your gifts and talents are and He knew! He knew where and how you could make a difference.

Note how the Lord responded to Moses’ reaction, which depicted inferiority: “He said, ‘But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain (Exodus 3:12).’” I can sense the Lord’s fatherly expression and tone of voice. “But... what do you mean by ‘who am I’? Obviously I will be with you. Did you think I will send you on your own?”

What do you do when the Lord expects something of you? Do you also think you’re not worthy? Have you discerned your gift and taken the necessary measures to develop it. Once somebody prophesied to me that the Lord wanted to use me in Biblical teaching and that I had to get to know the Bible. I made every effort to know the Word – reading it and attending Bible Schools. Now I’m loaded with Word and the Holy Spirit has something to use when He wants to teach via me. Writing these teachings is effortless, for I just follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance.

Are you ready and have you taken the necessary steps to be used in your gift? Are you busy with your gift? Remember, God is not pleased with excuses. He is there for you!

Lord, help me to discover my gift.

If you benefited from this why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment