Sunday 11 December 2011

Walk by the Spirit (Part Three)


In the previous two postings we spoke about reading the Bible, loving the Lord and prayer. All these need to result in action. One doesn’t need to read far in the Bible to realise that that we’re not only saved to go to heaven. Right through the Bible we’re commanded to be doers. John 14:21 is significant to me: “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Why is this important to Jesus? First He said whoever has my commandments. He has given them, but it is up to us to make them our own. We discover them as we study the Bible. Keeping these commandments is evidence to Jesus that we love Him. We know that lip service love is not worth much in any love relationship. As humans we expect people to prove their love to us. Don’t just tell me you love me – show me. How many of us, however, stand Sunday after Sunday in church telling the Lord we love Him, but what about His commandments?

Do we obey the written commandments? These are not only the Ten Commandments, but any directions given to us right through the Bible. We find them in the books of Prophets, the Psalms, Proverbs, in Jesus’ teachings and all over the Epistles. How about His daily commandments? Do we know what Jesus expects us to do during the day? When somebody needs prayer, comforting, support, help, counsel, to hear the gospel, etc. the Holy Spirit usually prompts somebody to assist. Do we hear these promptings? To Jesus obeying these commands is the only evidence that we love Him, no matter what we say.

This is the condition – if we’d like to get to know the Lord, we need to obey His commandments. He works together with obedient servants and like anybody knows; as you work along with a person, you get to know the person. But Jesus didn’t only say we’ll get to know Him. He said he’ll reveal or manifest himself to an obedient person. In any job, those who do their responsibilities well can be trusted to be taught more, isn’t it. As Jesus sees us performing well in what He expects us to do, He’ll show us more of Himself so we can become more like Him and be increasingly as obedient as He was. His power will assist us. We sing all these kind of things in songs, don’t we? It should really go beyond songs.

What has this to do with walking in the Spirit? Jesus and the Holy Spirit is one and the Holy Spirit took over where Jesus left off. “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you (John 16:7).” Therefore “the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you (John 14:26).” Obedience through walking in the Spirit gets the Lord manifested.

Lord, we really need to obey you. Please help us across the barriers that prevent us to.

If you benefited from this why don’t you link it to your Facebook or Twitter to make it available to your friends? You can also use the e-mail link to pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment