Friday 2 December 2011

Jesus of no Reputation

Good morning

One of the things Jesus was tempted with in the wilderness was pride – to be great. Eve was tempted with the same. “’You will not surely die,’ the serpent said to the woman. ‘For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil’ (Genesis 3:4, 5).”

We, however, read the following about Jesus. “He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not (Isaiah 53:3).” For someone described like this in Isaiah’s prophecy He had lots of power and a great following, didn’t He? Why was it like that? It’s obvious from Isaiah 53 that Jesus wasn’t the kind of hunk that would have attracted people like movie stars do these days. He probably looked like the unattractive little men portrayed in the movies that wouldn’t have a chance to get a girlfriend.

What made Him special then? Because He was humble, God the Father exalted Him. He knew how dependent He was on his Father. He said: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does (John 5:19). By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me (John 5:30). A certain ruler asked him, ‘Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ ‘Why do you call me good?’ Jesus answered. ‘No one is good - except God alone’ (Luke 18:18, 19).”

How do you match up with Jesus? I’ve been tested many times in this area. Just as I want to feel good about something I’ve accomplished, something happens that humbles me. Sometimes I complained to the Lord: “Lord, aren’t I even allowed to feel good about my accomplishments?” Is it really my accomplishments or is it the grace of the Lord?  “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing (John 15:5). The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted (Matthew 23:11, 12).”

 Take some time to think about these words.

 I’m not humble when:

·        I look down on anybody. Jesus lived among the simple people.

·        I think I’ve done it on my own. There’s always a team involved – at least you and the Lord.

·        I receive glory belonging to God. All glory belongs to Him. We deserve nothing.

·        When I deny the rest of the human team their credit.

 So am I then nobody, a useless rotten scoundrel? If you humble yourself in your heart, God will exalt you. Exalt the Lord in you attitude, in your thoughts and your actions and in the eyes of others you will be exalted – that’s how God works. You may not even know it.

 “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up (James 4:10).”

Thank you for helping me, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment